Hydrogen Hub in Jönköping
Hydrogen Hub in Jönköping
The Municipal energy company Jönköping Energi is looking at establishing a holistic energy system with hydrogen as energy carrier.
Besides being a central logistics hub, Jönköping is well placed as a strategic site for the European hydrogen highway, connecting Sweden’s main bigger cities. This is the location where the European highway E4, connecting Malmö and Stockholm with Europe, is joined with RV40, connecting Gothenburg. The E4 starts in the very north of Sweden, Haparanda, and Finland, Torneå, down to Helsingborg in the very south of Sweden, before it leads on to the rest of Europe.
There are also several potential subjects for development grounds of future hydrogen solutions, with regional airport, airborne-, train- and maritime transportations, a main island and important construction projects enlarging the city.
The ambition aims at a number of different applications of green hydrogen in modern society to possibly demonstrate a wide variety of uses, ranging from vehicles to production using solar energy:
• Vehicles where hydrogen as a fuel fits well such as carpools, busses, trucks, forklifts and off-road vehicles. Jönköping is well placed as one of the logistical hubs of Sweden.
• Industries wanting to move to green hydrogen
• In partnership with costumers, i.e. both vehicles and infrastructure
• Production of green hydrogen connected to local solar energy production.
Jönköping Energi welcomes initiatives from interested stakeholders for joint development.
Disclaimer: Envisioned projects are conditioned by approval from relevant board and stakeholders.
30 MEUR – first estimate for a joint partnership creating a living energy system (infrastructure and vehicles). Funding amount is related to definition of scope.
Possible development in three steps, after validation:
• Step 1 – Hydrogen fuelling station with a smaller production facility
• Step 2 – Fuelling station as a hub for green fuels
• Step 3 – Large scale hydrogen system including energy storage in synergy with electricity grid and district heating network, as well as several fuelling stations.
Swedish green Recovery
The timing of the European Green Deal and the Climate law is excellent. Since around the time of the Paris agreement, there is an impatient willingness to act in the business sector, and we need authorities to catalyse this development.
The Swedish 2030-secretariat was founded to support Sweden’s ambition to decarbonize the transport sector. The Swedish Climate Law set an ambitious sector target for transport – 70 percent reduction of carbon dioxide by 2030. Through 70 partners from industry, municipalities and organisations the 2030-secretariat is supporting this ambitious development, independent of technical solutions or political parties. We are convinced that we need to work in parallel on behaviour, fuels (all low carbon or zero emission fuels) and vehicle technologies. All is needed.
We invited partners to send in proposals that fit well within Green recovery under the Green Deal. We have collected some 30 proposals, mostly in Sweden, in different areas using different technologies. We, the 2030-secretariat, are a Coalition of the willing with a focus on the target year 2030. There are many initiatives brewing in Sweden.
We strongly support initiatives like the Green recovery fund, and we see an increasing interest to take part. In this work we would like to stress the following:
• Allow for a multitude of solutions. We do not know which technology will be decisive, but we do know that many different technologies will be needed
• Changing our behaviour and the use of digital mobility is as important as legislation for vehicles or fuels. The 2020’s is the decade of digitalization, let’s invite digital solutions into the mobility sector
• Avoid having the good alternatives compete. The future is a combo; electricity, hydrogen, biofuels, biogas and some of the new fuels entering the market
• Do not separate fuels in generations or levels of sophistication. We are interested in the greenhouse gas reduction potential of the fuels, not what they are called
We sense a strong willingness to move forward, a season of change that is both needed and welcome. We hope that these initiatives can inspire. If you like an idea – steal it, if you want to participate, contact the person listed by the project. But most importantly, get inspired by what is possible.
The Swedish 2030-secretariat is made up of 70 partners from industry, municipalities and organisations joined in one common goal – supporting Sweden in reaching a 70 percent reduction of CO2 in the Swedish transport sector by 2030. We work in three areas, all equally important: vehicle technology, fuels and electrification and behaviour. All three important areas that need to deliver if we are to reach the climate target for the transport sector. The 2030-secretariat is independent from individual companies and political parties and does not favour any specific technology or solution. The reduction of CO2 is what counts. We are equally inspired by entrepreneurship and innovation as we are with grit, the on-going task of increasing efficiency. We need all to reach the climate targets.